Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I Can't Wait for a Very Important Date


I can barely contain just how excited I am about this Friday's release of Alice in Wonderland. It is the culmination of all my favorite movie elements; Disney, Tim Burton, Johnny Depp and, of course the story itself, Alice in Wonderland. The Disney animated cartoon is one of my favorites of all time, I can't wait to see it in all of its live-action splendor! 
 
I'm not usually the advance-ticket-buying type, but I have my tickets ordered to see this on Friday, 3-D Imax style. I am anticipating all things wonderful and while I know this will be drastically different from the cartoon, I hope a few elements are still retained. These elements include but are not limited to: mome raths, the talking door knob (who is the only character that did not originate from the Lewis Carroll books), and Bill the lizard with a ladder. The mome raths, in particular, are such a minute part of the cartoon, but nevertheless I would love to see them in their 3-D glory, pointing the way for Alice. I would also like to see the Jabberwocky included, even though he does not appear in the animated classic from 1951.

Every time I get excited about this film, the naysayers remind me of 2005's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Everyone hated it, and I didn't care for it much either. Can't we just put that movie behind us all? Sure, it wasn't as brilliant as the Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory original with Gene Wilder; but what could be? I have faith that the Tim Burton and Johnny Depp one two punch can pull this one off.

1 comment:

Scott Morgan said...

A lot of people liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I am one of them. I think it surpasses the original in many ways.

82% on rottentomatoes.

So if that's a worry - it shouldn't be.